Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 89: Oh Brother!

Woke up early (5-something) to a nice cool morning. Had breakfast with Larry Budd, a tripple crowner who was a friend of Sour Dough. He's got a web site dedicated to hiking at http://thetrailhead.ning.com. After exchanging websites and packing up, Scatters, One Life and I headed out before 7am. We had 11.5 miles to do before noon.




And it was great terrain. I don't mind the gravelly rocks, and I really enjoy the boulder hopping, but I don't really like when the rocks are bowling ball size and move around. Though my feet get quite tender after rocky days like this, my ankles must be getting quite strong by now!

Made it to the Allentown shelter for a break and a snack with One Life, Master Chief, Gravel Boy, and a few others. We were waiting for Scatters to catch up, but after waiting a while, a south-bounder let us know that she had passed by before he arrived at the shelter! Scatters!?!

We left for the last four miles and caught up at PA 309 at the Blue Mountain Summit B&B. Dan showed up a few minutes later, and we were off in the truck to check-in to our THIRD hotel in FOUR days!!?! Are we getting soft and spoiled...?




Over at the Country Inn & Suites, we showered up and asked the front desk where we should go to watch the soccer game. Soon we were on our way to Sapora's in Lehighton. It was VERY crowded in there for a Sunday afternoon (we were four of maybe eight people), but we managed to get a table with lots of tv viewing possibilities. Great food, exciting game despite the low score, and Scatters was very pleased that Spain won.




We left into the heat and checked out Walmart. Then we stopped by Rita's for ice cream. Then back to the hotel. Neutron and Xan called from the trail head near Danielsville. They're about a day and a half ahead of me lately. They had a package for me all the way from my cousin Roxanne in Hawaii!!! (the box was AWESOME, Roxanne!! Thank you so much!) Dan and I drove through the Pennsylvania countryside and met up with the guys and TC. Hey guys!! I miss you!! They had extra food along with my box, and after catching up for a bit, Dan and I said bye and took the extras back to the hotel. I wonder if I will get back in synch with them at some point again. Hope so!

The rest of the night was chilling out with tv and clever banter (and lots of farting). Laundry got done. Stoves got clean. Food got organized. Now it's too late and I'm going to bed.

I've updated my schedule page and my mail drop page. Whatever happened to folks commenting on the blog?!
(11.5mi 8st)



-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Lehighton, PA

4 comments:

I Live Inspired said...

"The rest of the night was chilling out with tv and clever banter (and lots of farting)."

Sounds like an average night at 907. Keep up the good work!

Marilyn said...

You're right, we should all be commenting more. So so hot here in Florida, no oomph. Well you are over the hump now, more than half-way ther. Congrats.
When you meet up with Xan and Neutron, say hi.
Love the pictures of the food, a highlight of your day, I know.
Try to stay cool.
Marilyn

Connie said...

IHU! I read every post but commenting on this silly iPhone isn't easy :) I can only imagine the fun of cranking out blog posts on it! Just know we are listening and thinking ofbyou :)

tattoo said...

Great to be "hiking" along with you guys. Think I will be doing NY and CN starting on 8/8 probably a week or 2 behind you.
Hie on -- Tattoo