Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 80: A Slow Day

Woke up NOT freezing!! I did end up putting the trashbag over my legs, which caused a little condensation, but I stayed warm. And I woke up late. Moped was up and left shortly after I got out of my tent (extra puffy face again! what gives?!), and not until about 10am did One Life and I get going. It was going to be a slow day.




Nice weather again, though. We walked fewer than 2 miles before we came to Appalachian Trail Road. Moped was there and so was a summer camp group that camped near us last night. One of the counselors waved the three of us over and offered what was left of their food. Excellent! We feasted on pbj bagels, apples, cereal, and granola bars while we talked to Liza, Keanan (sp?), the other organizers and a few of the kids. I wish I could remember the camp name! They need to be thanked properly in the blog because that little break was just so nice and unexpected...




We stayed there longer than we should have, but then got back to hiking. There were a few rocky bits and a group of steeper hills, but not too bad overall. Very very flat later on. Then there were huge cornfields. The trail was all over the shop, but One Life and I were just feeling slow. Maybe an ice cream hangover...?




Finally, we rolled into Boiling Springs and took a break by the pond. What a pretty little town! We wandered over past the ATC and the outfitter to hang out and have a snack at Caffe 1001. We met Moped's parents and saw Llamo there, and I had fantastic crab cake sliders. My cousin, David, lives in York, PA, and he was going to meet us in a few hours. So One Life and I hung out at the cafe and charged our phones and chatted with a few nice locals. I really like this little town!!




Around 7:30, we headed over to "the bubble" from which Boiling Springs got it's name, and then we continued on the AT until we got to PA-74. We only waited a few minutes before David, Terry, Kaitlin, Ethan and Little Madeline pulled up. Hi family!

They brought cookies, cake and Gatorade to share, so we ate and caught up a bit as the sun went down. Kaitlyn wowed me with her knowledge of the trail - and she pointed out a blaze! Ethan caught a few fireflies, and Madeline was quite content on mom's shoulder (two teeth!!). Soon after the parents got the kids back in the car, they took off without David and his pack, and so did we up the trail.




It was headlamp time, too. Pretty dark, but with nice sky color. We didn't have a plan, but we wanted to shed a few miles from our total to get back to David's car tomorrow. We walked a few miles through more cornfields and crossed a few roads before we came across a house with kids swimming in their pool late. There was a nice area for tents to the side of the house RIGHT off the trail, so I went over and asked if we could tent there. They said yes! Excellent. One Life and I were pretty tired, and our feet hurt, so the timing was great. I'm not sure if David had planned to hike at all today, so just covering a few miles was perfect all around. And now we only have 10-11 miles to go tomorrow. Should be good.

Now we're all tented out and snuggled in, and it's almost midnight. Gotta get up early in the morning!! Headed into Duncannon after dropping David off. Shower and laundry await!!!
(17.4mi)(6st)



-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Somewhere south of the PA turnpike

No comments: