Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 88: Rain!?







Woke up a few times during the early early morning to hard rain on the air conditioner. Rain? What what?! It stormed with daylight lightning around 5:30, then it drizzled, then it poured again. We had planned to get out at 7am, but rain is the hiker's snooze bar. Check-out was at 9am, so we stayed on bed till about 8:45. At least the springs may have water in them once again...






We lethargicly sat on the porch of the hotel after we packed up, then around 9:30 we finally made our move. It was still drizzling, but it wasn't cold. My socks and shoes got wet from the grass and puddles, and we climbed out of the Port Clinton valley. I was feeling a bit out-of-it, but made it to the Winsor Furnace shelter for a snack and a rest. It was still drizzling on and off, and there was a slight chill in the air once I stopped moving. We breaked for about an hour and a half (One Life and Scatters got all comfy), and we took off for the last 9-something miles for the day.





I began an mp3 book on my iPod and took a break at The Pinnacle. The rain had stopped so the view was actually quite impressive. I met a few day hikers (Holly, Amanda and Josh) who were really nice and asked me lots of questions about my AT journey. They offered me an extra Gatorade, too, which was so great! Thanks guys!





I got back on the trail and enjoyed the easy last few miles with my iBook on. The time flew by and soon I was at the Eckville shelter, which is behind a house. This shelter has a flushing toilet, a solar shower, and electricity plugs - luxury! The caretaker, Mick/Lazee has thru hiked 3 times and he brought out a watermelon. Delish. Then after we all ate, he brought out icy pops! What a guy! Thanks Mick :)












Since we got into the shelter so early (5:30 = much earlier than usual) we ate, cleaned up, chatted and were in bed by 9pm. We should be up early at this rate. My brother is going to drive all the way out here to pick us up tomorrow to watch the world cup finals in Palmerton - yay!
(16.1mi 6st)


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Eckville Shelter

No comments: