Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 82: A Fourth Like No Other

Happy Fourth of July!!!


We three hikers of Appalachia awoke far too early for so many late night giggles and jokes, but we were up and headed to breakfast by 8 something. Delicious breakfast across the street at Goodies, and after Gene (Sweet Tea's husband) sat down to chat and eat with us, we secured a ride over to the grocery store. One Life and I had to resupply, but Scatters came along anyways, though she had received a resupply package.


With our food back in the room, we packed up and plopped down on the porch of the hotel in order to be out of the room by 11am. I findlly got to open and enjoy the FABULOUS care package from my Sydney girls (Thanks a million, ladies!!! It was just what I wanted - all my favorite Aussie treats. I miss you guys so so so much!)




I had to reorganize my food and make a few pbj tortillas for the week, but Scatters left with a crew of slack packers. Bag-o-Tricks offered to drive my and One Life's bags, too, but we both declined. I haven't slack packed yet, and I'm not sure I will or want to... Scatters left with Tattoo, Klarity and a few others, and I took care of my admin on the porch.

It was hot. And even though I caught up with my blog, I wasn't super motivated to walk just yet. I had planned to take a zero in Duncannon, but since there wasn't much going on (or open) on the fourth, I decided to keep moving on. But it was so hot!!

Around 2pm, One Life and I packed up and left the Doyle... to go to the pizza shop a block away. We'd eat, charge our phones, soak up the last of the AC for a while, then go. And that's just about how it went down. Around 4pm, we left and walked by the bank. The flashy sign said 100 degrees!?! It was hot.



We walked around the river and started the climb out of the valley. It was hot and sweaty and steep. A few hours later, we stopped at a shelter to get water and to have a snack. There was a ridge runner there who told us about the lack of water up ahead. We will need to be watching our supplies very closely over the next few days. Springs are drying up!




We marched on until the sun was about to set. We came upon a road crossing at 225, saw the sun slip behind the mountains, then we chilled out until fireworks began in the valley below. It was a pretty cool view. Not too many huge fireworks (I'm from DC, so I'm used to the hugongo ones...), but there were lots of then going off for hours after sundown. We ate and chilled out to the max. It was really quite pleasant. The most relaxing fourth of July I've ever had, for sure...

But then we had to make it to a proper sleeping location. We night hiked for another hour or so (the first few hundred yards, we were followed by an orange tabby cat whose eyes were quite spooky in the glare of our headlamps), until we arrived at Peters Mountain shelter around 12:45am. Late entry!! There were tents and hammocks set up and spread out all over the grounds, but, oddly, NO ONE was in the shelter! It sleeps 20!!?!

It worked out nicely, and we were asleep by 1:30. Needless to say, I was way too sleepy to blog until the next day....

Side note: Little Foot contracted Lymes disease but should be back on the trail by now. We're all still checking for ticks out here!!
(11.2mi 7st)


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Peters Mountain Shelter

1 comment:

Tattoo said...

Good luck, Stucco. Miss you guys.
Tattoo