Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 103: An Unexpected Big Day

I know I had been hurting. And I know many people were telling me to take it easy. But I woke up ready to hike and so I did. Many miles...

Since Scatters and I had not planned on taking a zero yesterday, we wanted to get out early and start back up again. One Life was feeling better, but didn't want to rush out the door. We all had the fabulous breakfast at the hotel and then packed up. Scatters and I ended up leaving just before 9, and One Life said he was going to hang around the hotel a bit longer. We were all hoping to see each other later... no matter if it would be today, tomorrow or later on in the week.







So, Scatters and I were lucky to score a hitch very quickly from the gas station from a chef named Steve, who was on his way to work. Thanks Steve!! We walked over beautiful Bear Mountain bridge and the began to climb in the heat. The terrain wasn't too bad, but the humidity was horrible. Better than yesterday, but still bad. We hiked a while and then ran into TC, who we hadn't seen for a while.







We caught up with what he'd been up to and stopped briefly for a snack, then we stopped at the Appalachian Market (brand new!?), then again for lunch - when it started sprinkling. (oh and we passed 1400 miles!) We weren't sure how far we'd make it, but we were feeling good. And there was water! In the streams!!?! It was so nice not to freak out too much about not knowing where the next reliable source would be. Thank the rains...






We hiked on in the drizzle. We all play the "is it a stick or a snake" game most everyday, and I usually lose with stick. Today I ended up winning with a big ole lazy black snake flopped right across the trail. It didn't care about me at all or the nooses I made, and eventually it just slowly slithered off on its way. Oh snakes...

We all stopped for an afternoon snack after 15 or so miles, and Scatters and I decided to push past 20 to see if we could make it to the next shelter. No pressure, but why not if we're feeling good, right...? TC was pretty sure he'd camp around 20 miles.













As we hiked on, the rain stopped, and the sun came back out. It turned into a lovely afternoon, and then a dramatic evening sky - complete with BRIGHT full moon! We had dinner atop Shenandoah Mountain and watched the clouds a bit. Then we night hiked the last 2.8 miles to the shelter. Powder was there and so was Dr Rock, who I hadn't seen in a while. We chatted with Powder while getting ready for bed, and now it's time for dark. Hope TC and One Life ended up camping together somewhere!

I can't believe how bright that moon is!!?!
(25.2mi 15st)





HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEAH!!!

-- Posted from the trail...

Location:RPH Shelter

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Stucco
I am a good friend of Erica Mathewson's in Charleston & I have been following your blog and watching One Lifes videos. You guys are rocking it out!!! I plan on a section hike end of sept for 5 weeks. You all have been real inspiration to me & hiking all the way to Maine one day is a big dream and goal of mine!!!
Also have some equipment & gear Questions for u guys...

-Jen

Shelly Curcio said...

The full moon photo and the sunset through the clouds photos are especially dramatic. I've been following your blog and I've felt like I've taken a trip through the Appalachian Trail with you. Thank you. You have been an inspiration in more ways than you know.

Anonymous said...

Carrie!! Just want you to know that I'm still reading the blog and enjoying the tales of your daily travels. You're doing an awesome job (I knew you would). Miss you in DC!

Lauren