Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 78: Poolside?

It was cold last night. Shivering, can't sleep kinda cold. Though I think I got a few hours in after the sun came up. I may have made the wrong choice when I sent my 20 degree down bag home for the summer. Perhaps I should've invested in a 40 degree summer bag, but I cut costs and got a $15 glorified Snuggie instead. I have a silk liner, too, now, but the combo was no match for the cold front that came in last night.


One Life has a summer sleeping bag and he was completely sinched up and mummified (and he's an angel for letting me wear his poofy jacket!!). In the morning we both slept in because we hadn't slept through the whole night. Got up around 8, left by 9 something.

Because of the cool night, though, it made for beautiful weather throughout the day. Possibly the best hiking weather of the trip?! Bright sun. Cool breeze.


One Life and I walked at a good pace over rocks and roads, and we stopped at a shelter for a a snack and water. More hiking, uphill, then another snack break before walking into the Caledonia State Park. What a great park! There was a pool where we finally caught up to Xan, Neutron and Sandbagger. They had hitched into town for a $5 buffet at Ryan's. I was a little jealous, but then was distracted by the pool. I rinse/washed me and my hiking clothes in the shower before setting my stuff down in our hiker corner. Laid the wet stuff to dry then jumped in the pool. It was a bit chilly getting out, but I laid on the sun to warm up a bit.



Charged my phone as I caught up and chatted with the guys and had a hot dog from the snack bar. What a nice hiker haven - and only $4! The guys had been there for a few hours, so they moved on up the trail a little after 4pm. One Life, Scatters, Bo and I stayed put for a bit longer before she left. I showered and put my hiking clothes back on and took off with One Life. It was another few hours (ten miles) till the shelter, and it was already 6pm.


We passed a very cute shelter on the way, then had a big climb. We knew we wouldn't make it before it got dark, so we stopped at a small campsite for a sunset dinner. After dinner, we made it another mile before headlanps were needed. Night hiking!

We made it to the shelter around 10:30 and tried to be as quiet as possible while setting up our tents. There were a lot of people all over the place, and many of them were already sleeping, but we made it to bed. It will be cold again tonight. I really hope to sleep through it?!!

Today ends my first week where my a average mileage is fewer than 100 miles. Hoping to bump that back up in the next few weeks. But I will officially be halfway tomorrow!!! Hoping to compete in the "half gallon challenge" (an AT halfway tradition: eating an entire half gallon of ice cream in less than one hour). I will dream of quick digestion and stomach fortitude...
(23.2mi 15st)


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Birch Run Shelter

No comments: