Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 58: A Quirky Long Day

Up and at em and on the road by 8. Apparently Little Foot was out by 6:15, but the boys were behind me. (it's not a race, just helps with figuring out who's where...)

Steep, long decline from The Priest. I went from 4063 to 970 in about four miles. The knees were definitely feeling it at the bottom. I spotted Dr Rock and his girlfriend, Kit Kat, in the small parking area. Kit Kat hiked from Springer to Erwin with him, then called it quits. But since she's retired and she still wanted to be a part of Dr Rock's hike, she drives to meet him at roads, gives hikers rides into town, and she always has cold sodas to share. Very kind, helpful and generous.




So, I said hi and got a soda! I chilled for a bit in the shade before beginning the climb up to Chimney Rocks and Three Ridges. Back up to 3870!! Took a break at a shelter for a snack, but kept moving most of the time. At one point, which must've been the top of the third Ridge, I hadn't seen a white blaze in a while. I got pretty paranoid as I continued on what I thought was the trail. After about 1/3 miles with no blaze, I admitted defeat and turned around. Bah! Back at where I started a steep decline, I ran into Dr Rock coming up. He hadn't seen a blaze for a while either, but he was convinced it was the trail and continued on. Ugh. I still wasn't sure, so I went back the way I had originally come to make sure we were on the right path.


Stubborn. Only a short while down, I spotted a blaze. I was on the right track the whole time! (they need more blazes up there!!) Soooo, I eventually caught up with Dr Rock again (who politely declined his opportunity to say "I told you so"), and we hiked together for a bit. I found out that his name originated from his old radio show where he was a Dj - not from being a wiz at geology...

About a half mile from the next shelter, we came across a bunch of trail maintenance guys. We thanked them profusely for all their hard work and they told us where to find Cokes in one of their trucks near the shelter. Double thanks!!!

Got to the shelter and Little Foot was there. Not talking. Yesterday he decided that he wouldn't talk at all today, just to see if he could do it. It made communication a bunch more entertaining than usual. Andy & Grizzly were at the shelter, and Law Dog and Seoul Patch were there, too. After about an hour of snacks and relaxing, the boys showed up.


We got all energized and decided to go for a 26 mile day. We took off over a decently flat-ish trail, over a small hill/mountain, then out onto the Cedar Cliffs. It was so nice that we decided to make dinner out there. Little Foot had to pry a tick off his leg before he ate, though. It was a feisty little sucker, but I think/hope he got it all out...

After dinner, we were all a bit less energized to walk 6 more miles. Or maybe it was just me and Neutron...? The four of us (and Shane) decided to get water by the road and find the next campsite. It took about 3 miles to do so, and another climb back from 2650 up to 3250 feet, but we found a great spot on Humpback Mountain - juuust as the light was fading from the sky. We were all planning to sleep in tomorrow morning, but we may have to get up for the sunrise first... We are camped about 20 feet from the cliffs.

It's Neutron/Brian's birthday tomorrow - the big 23!! And my brother's coming out to see me!! Can't wait for Waynesboro!

(23)


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Humpback Mountain

3 comments:

Googles said...

I love the Pepsi photo, despite the fact that I do not drink soda. It just looks so refreshing! I continue to read about your progress and can't wait to see you when you get back to DC!

-Googles

Connie said...

Big day! I love reading your adventures. I hope someday I get to meet all the wonderful people you have met. It sure is nice to know you are not alone and you're having a good time. I miss ya terribly! IHU!!

Unknown said...

I love carrie's mom's potato salad. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! Thank you!