Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 66: Oh Shennys...

Right, so, last night kind of sucked. My new sleeping bag is just NOT warm enough. After I finished catching up on the blog, I bundled up because it was so blustery and chilly outside. I had tights on, rain pants, a turtleneck, rain jacket, socks, my buff over my head like a hat, and my jacket hood on. I must've fallen asleep for a bit, but then woke up cold. I put my sitting pad over my legs and tried to curl up as much as I could. I couldn't believe I was more chilled than when I was in the Smokies!!?!

So, I was in and out of sleep until the sun started coming up. Then it got warmer and I fell deeeeply asleep. Until TEN FIFTEEN!! I couldn't believe I'd slept in for so long. I was a bit baffled. But I guess I needed it.

Power Pack and Deetz had left my food bag outside my tent, and they were long packed up and gone. There were cars in the parking lot, and hikers were headed to the wayside for a meal. Wow. I was so far behind!

So, I packed up and made my way out of the woods and greeted Roadrunner, Taterchip, Papa Smurf and Powder/Russell. "Hey! Where'd you come from?! I thought you were way ahead?!" "No no.... Just woke up about 100 yards from here."

They had all ordered food for brunch and lunch, and I hadn't eaten all day. They'd hiked 2 hours to get there. I walked 90 seconds. Rather than order myself some food, I decided to eat out of my food bag. It killed me to pass on a bacon/egg/cheese sandwich, but I had already bought THREE meals in the Shennys - waaay above average. So, I had thai noodles and chicken. Roadrunner was nice enough to buy us all ice cream afterwards! What a guy...




Ok, so, up at 10:15 and on the road by noon. Would it be the 16+ mile day I'd planned? Only hiking could make it so... Luckily, it was a beautiful afternoon for hiking at speed. Got on my way and checked out a few vista points since the sky was nice and clear. Snacked along the way here and there and ran into the Roadrunner crew from time to time. It was nice to see Powder again on the trail. He'd been a few days back, but had caught up. I think Russell (the dog) missed me.



Somewhere along the way, Little Foot texted me that he and his mom had made it into Front Royal already and that I could crash there if I could make it out of the woods. Motivation! I had planned on staying at the last shelter before Front Royal, but since it was only 3 miles from the road, of COURSE I could make it.


I walked a few miles with Powder and Russell, and together we officially left the Shenandoah National Park. Came up to that last shelter, and took a break to eat dinner. It was about 7:45 at this point, and daylight was going to be a factor. Serenetina and Stickwalker were there, and Hoof It came in after us. I ate a bit of dinner and packed up to take off. Three miles to go at 8:30pm. No problem!

I semi-ran the first bit of slightly-downhill switchbacks, then stumbled through heavy canopy and woods. I refused to stop to get out my headlamp, even though I needed it. I clicked my poles together regularly to scare away animals. As I walked, I got a text from Neutron saying that he and Xan were still in Front Royal. Ha! It's gonna be a party!

Luckily, I did not come across any bears in those last few miles, but I did startle a few deer. I managed to get to the road in less than an hour (despite a huge, sneak-attack, surprise hill NOT mentioned in the book...), and the Little Foot family picked me up. Thanks Footses!!

We drove back to the Super 8, I showered, then we all walked down to the park where Xan and Neutron had been loitering. Hello friends! We all chatted and stopped by Anthony's Pizza for a bite (at 11:30pm), and finally made our way back to the hotel. Little Foot's parents were very kind to let us all crash on their floor. Much much appreciated!

So, my folks should be coming 'round the mountain tomorrow, and hopefully there will be much more fun ahead!!! (including laundry!!)

Looking forward to seeing mom and dad and brother!
(19.1)



-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Front Royal, VA

No comments: