Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 73: I Love REI

Woke up to drop my mom off at work again, and then picked up Powder and Russell. We all had breakfast back at the apartment before I drove out to REI with Xan. He had to return his old sleeping pad and try to return his hiking pole. I had to exchange my failing sleeping pad (the same one he had), exchange my back pack (the inside fabric had ripped so that the internal frame was shifting all around), and I had to get some new shoes.

Xan and I stood in the customer service line and soon had our go. We both came out successful! He got more than enough credit to get a new hiking pole, and I got everything exchanged with no questions asked. New sleeping pad (so clean), a new pack (same one, but one size smaller) and a new pair of trail runners. AND Half Elvis was there! I told him I'd missed him by only a few hours back near Front Royal, and he told me about the awesome trail magic I'd missed. Oh, timing...

We drove back to DC, and I dropped off Xan. The guys were gonna head back to check out a few more Smithsonian museums. I went back to the Capitol Hill to have lunch with Leah and Becca at 7th Hill. Saw Anthony doing his pizza dough-throwing thang behind the counter, and also ran into a few other old friends. Good times.

After lunch, I said goodbye to Becca and Leah and stopped into CVS to fill a prescription for more poison ivy steroids. I managed to get more PI on my feet and a bit on my elbow, and I thought I'd get some meds before going back into the woods. I may not take them for this episode, but I'm very glad to have them if/when I need them. Like most people, I really don't like this poison ivy thing.

Back to the apartment for a well-deserved (though short) nap. Powder had been chilling out there all day, and Dan got home shortly after I did. Napped! Then I went to pick up mom. After the guys got back from the National Art Gallery, we had some snacks and then headed out for a night on the town!


Solly's on U street was the perfect pub for hikers in hiker gear. We were joined by a few of my friends and my brother, and Scatters was in town and joined as well. Fun live bluegrass music upstairs, and lots of PBR. Too bad we were getting yawny at 11pm! We managed to make it until 11:30 before walking across the street to Ben's Chili Bowl. Late night grub and giggles, and we caught the metro home. Oh my bed... Back on the trail tomorrow!!
(0)


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Washington, DC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A little homesick from your DC blogs, great to see pictures, and glad you're in some!
Sarah