Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 60: Waynesboro

Great sleep in the hotel double bed I had all to myself. Really good. Woke up feeling stiff (normal), but well rested and very content. Dan and I walked over to catch the last 15 minutes of the continental breakfast and then we were back in the room. The boys had been up but were going back to sleep, so I gathered all the laundry and headed to the laundromat. Took care of that business then came back to the room to pack up.

Little Foot, Xan and Neutron were hanging out by the pool when we got back, and we then moved all our stuff to their new room. I wasn't planning on staying in town tonight, but I wasn't ready to leave yet. About 1pm, the five of us drove to Buffalo Wild Wings to catch the USA/England world cup soccer game. The place was pretty packed, but we got a table. As soon as the game was about to start, a huge thunderstorm rolled in. It was so nice to be inside at a time like this, BUT the bar had Direct TV which kept losing signal. The place went crazy every time the tvs went blank, but eventually the storm passed and the game continued. Jafar, Law Dawg, Dr Blister, and Timon were at the bar, too. We said goodbye to them at half time since we decided to watch the second half of the game at the hotel. Quick stop by Wendy's for frosties and then a quick drive back to the hotel.

When we drove up, Left Field, Chef, Motorboat, and Rainbow were outside! We hadn't planned on seeing then for a while! We all caught up a bit before cramming into the small hotel room to watch the rest of the game. And then Chopstix showed up - he had finally caught up! After the game ended in a tie (meh), Little Foot and I packed up to get a ride back to the trail head with my brother. I didn't really want to leave, and I didn't have to, but I've got my friends Erin and Mike to meet tomorrow! I'm supposed to meet them about 20 miles up the trail tomorrow at noon-ish, so I knew I should better get a few miles in today. But I wanted to stay with all the fun! But I wanted to hike. But I wanted to hang out. But I wanted to sleep in the woods...


The boys are staying in town one more night because they will be attempting to complete the Shanendoahs in three days. It will be about 35 miles a day. That doesn't sound too fun to me, so I probably won't see too much of them for a bit. They'll surely need a few rest days after a whirlwind 70 hours, so I'll catch up to them in not too too long.

It was a tough one, but I managed to peel my way from the hotel fun and get back on the trail after saying goodbye to the large crew. After a quick last stop at Kroger and the outfitters, I then had to say goodbye to the best brother ever and begin to hike once again. (Thanks Dan! You're the best!!)


I felt a bit bloated and swollen from the mass quantities of town food in my system, but after a few miles, I was back at speed. Zoned out for a bit. There were a few hills and roads, then a great view from the cell tower mountain (only when you were looking away from the towers).


Very cool sky. Little Foot and I met up with One Life at the road where someone had left out water bottles, and we hiked the 1.5 miles to the Calf Mountain shelter as it was starting to get dark. We set up tents with headlamps, ate a small bit, and now it's time for bed. Very excited to meet up with Erin and Mike tomorrow!! Erin is one of my biggest supporters and was a big influence in my decision to hike the AT. And Mike makes up very fun songs. Should be a good time this week with the two of them!!

(6.3)



-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Calf Mountain shelter

No comments: