Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 65: Stealth Camping

Good morning in a bed! The three of us woke up and got moving a little later than expected, but it was all good. Some of our wet things were almost dry, but most of our wet things were still damp. My boots were kinda soaked still. Joy.

We suited up and headed up to breakfast. Saw that Roadrunner and Taterchip had already hiked 5 miles to make it here for breakfast, and we got a table next to them. One delicious omelet later, I was a happy camper. Had I really just eaten three straight meals in restaurants?!

One Life and I said our goodbyes and thank you's to Toboggan and started out in a blustery, sunny day. Saw Kit Kat and Dr Rock again, and she offered us an irresistable cold soda. Love her! Ok, back to hiking.




Up on the first ridge, the wind was quite strong. My sun visor blew off at one point, but luckily only into a nearby bush. After the ridge, there was a long bit of downhill over rocks. It was hard on the feet, but we made it to the Pinnacle picnic area for a snack with the oldies.

Onwards to the mountain until Byrd's Nest shelter (#3) where we all had lunch. Nice shelter. I dried my boots more in the sun, and noticed there was a dead, dried-up nightcrawler in my left boot. Nice. Wonder how long he'd been in there...

More uphill, then downhill (how it goes), but not too rushed since One Life's dad was picking him up two miles away at Thorton Gap for a few days off. We made it to the gap (and Kit Kat was there again!), but One Life wasn't sure where to wait since it's a bit of a confusing intersection. We walked around a bit and doubled back a bit before settling in a 4 foot by 4 foot area where my phone actually worked. Eventually, he got in touch with his dad, who finally made it to us, and they drove off into the afternoon with a future full of fridge food, sinks, couches, carpeting and beds... See you up the trail, One Life!!




Sooooo, back to hiking (humming Carry On My Wayward Son....). A quick break with Roadrunner, Tattoo, Taterchip and Dr Rock, then lots of walking. Really nice afternoon hike. Good temperature with a cool breeze and not bad inclines. Before I knew it, I was .5 miles from the Elkhollow Wayside, seeing a bear cub scramble away in a downed tree. (that's right, One Life... you missed it...) Not too much to see after the cub disappeared, so I continued on and found Deetz and Power Pack at the wayside! Hey ladies!

They were finishing up their dinner, so I made mine. The wayside was closed, but they'd gotten food before it did. I was lucky to reap the benefits of leftovers: half a grilled cheese sandwich and fries. And some ice cream! Excellent.

They were planning on stealth camping in the woods near there and I was in as well. Too bad the clerk guy locked up the bathrooms! But good thing there were still outlets to charge phones with and a water tap out the back. Perfect!

We found a spot in the woods and set up camp as the sun went down. We chatted in the dark about life for a while as the deer trotted laps around us and the bats flew around crazy-like. Power Pack's brother and his girlfriend will be showing up around midnight tonight to join them for a few days. The girls are waiting up at the picnic tables and I'm headed to bed. It may be chilly tonight!

25 miles till Front Royal.
(18.1)

Location:Elkhollow Wayside

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Carrie! Sounds like your having an amazing adventure. Keep up the good work! If you get this while you're still in Front Royal, be sure tomstop by the South Street Grill (Cafe?). It's across from the Martin's grocery store. I went there quite a bit during my time at Randolph-Macon. (Big school on the hill with the dome).

-DJ