Saturday, June 5, 2010

Day 53: A Scorcher

It was a late morning for most of us. I didn't get up till almost 9. Felt good to sleep in a bit. Most of the boys headed to the creek for a swim, but I didn't want to hike wet. So I packed my things up, took them to the road and went to say bye to the swimmers. Sandbagger had left right after breakfast, and Left Field had a quick swim before leaving. I thought I'd be right behind him until I saw how awesome the water looked. Why wasn't I swimming?!


The boys said they were going to hang out for a while so there would be time to dry off. Soooooo I grabbed my pack and took it back to the camp site, took off my shoes and went in. All clothes on (they needed more than a rinse). And it was great. I can't believe I almost didn't swim!!?!

After a game of "throw rocks at the tree" we set off to the store as the temperature started to rise. It was supposed to be ninety-something today. Though the store is over a mile away, the time flies when you're walking and talking. We had a few snacks and cold drinks before heading back to camp. It was hot! Seoul Patch and Achilles went all the way back to the creek while Xan, Neutron and I stopped at the empty pavillion to take a nap on the picnic tables there in the shade (with a breeze!). It was so nice and cool. Finally we made it back to camp to pack up. The boys jumped in the river one more time, and I took off up the hill. It was 4:30 and I hadn't walked a mile yet.

But! I'm glad we didn't start till after 4. I was sweating buckets, and the heat of the day was supposedly behind me. Climbing climbing climbing. 4 miles in, there was the most amazing shelter I'd ever seen. Wish we were staying there tonight, but had to keep moving.


It was multiple-layered, had eyelets for hamocks and a nice new feel to it. I stopped for a snack. Achilles had been there and left a bit before I did, and I didn't see him again until the next shelter, Cornelious Creek, which was 5 something miles up. Hiking at sunset through pretty forest - nice. At the shelter, Achilles ate his dinner at Cornelious as the sun was setting, and I ate mine as the light faded even more. Paul Bunion and City Squirell showed up briefly.

Then the two of us were off for a night hike to the next shelter!! Xan and Neutron hadn't caught up yet, but they would shortly. Achilles and I stopped here at the Black Rock to check out the night sky view and the boys have just arrived. We may just push on past the next shelter...? The night temperature is a lot more appealing than the day temperature. We shall see what happens....

[to keep it all in the same entry, I'll add what happened... We had a fun night hike as a group while I was leading. Giggles and singing Bohemian Rhapsody as loud as we could through the forest. We got to the Thunder Hill shelter around midnight, and I was still feeling good. Everyone there was asleep, but with our snackung noises, Left Field woke ip and came over and then so did Little Foot. Xan and Brian decided they were done and stayed there, and Achilles and I got water and pushed on. We ended up going/stumbling another 4.7 miles before finding a flat-ish spot off the trail around 2:30am. After a quick set up, it felt mighty good to lay flat.]

(18.??)



-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Black Rock

No comments: