Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 75: New Shoes

I woke up slowly after eight gorgeous hours of sleep in Little Foot's sister's room (thanks again, Lisa!). Went downstairs to shower and saw that Powder had already left (before 6am, I later found out!). Neutron and Xan were still sleeping, and One Life was just waking up, too.





Within an hour, Big Foot had made a slew of French toast and we were all up and eating. We got a ride over to the ATC again to get Xan's package and then we were back making final pack-ups. One Life and I were ready to go around 11, so we got a ride down to the trail head and took off along the canal. So nice and flat. Then I realized I had forgotten my phone! One Life didn't have anyone's numbers, so I tried calling the ATC since I knew Neutron had left his number on his information card. Their switchboard was down!? I tried Powder, but his phone was off. I was pretty sure Neutron's iPod was plugged in next to my phone and that he would see it before he left, but even if he didn't... our 8 hours of hiking would probably only equate to a mere 10 minute drive for one of Little Foot's parents, if it came to that.

Powder texted a few numbers to One Life's phone, so I called Little Foot who said that the guys had picked up my phone. Woo hoo! I knew I could count on them...

I hiked on in the heat of the day with One Life out in front of me. The school/charity he's hiking for (www.awalkforthefuture.com) was sending two kids up for an overnight hike - all the way from Dallas! The principal and her husband were driving Quentin ("Q") and Zack up to meet One Life at Gathland State Park at 3pm, so we only had to make sure we were there by then.





My new shoes were doing great, but I wasn't feeling all that great in the heat. A bit lethargic and lightheaded at times. I had some Gatorade, which seemed to help, but it was just plain hot hot hot out. After a few breaks and snacks, we made it to the park. McGyver was there with Sandbagger's mom who had trail magic! Joy!!

One Life, McGyver, Grace and I hung out under the pavillion while we waited for Sandbagger, Xan and Neutron and for Q and Zack to show up. It was nice and cool under there, and so were the drinks Grace brought.

Soon everyone arrived. I met Q and Zack and Kristi (the principal) and her husband Scott. I got my phone from Xan and Neutron. And we all snacked and hung out until it was time to start walking again.





I took off slowly with One Life and the youngsters, and I learned more about their school and friends and Dallas. Zack quickly got the trail name "Bingo" and Q got the name "Tiger." They were definitely going at a slower pace than we were used to, but it was probably good for me with new shoes and four recent zero days under my belt...





We didn't catch up with the guys, but we did make it to the Rocky Run shelter where there was a boy scout group AND a girl scout group camping. Luckily, we were able to find tent spots on the ridge for the four of us. We set up our tents, then I took Q and Zack down to pump water (and to flirt with the girl scouts...?) while One Life started cooking their dinner.

Good times camping with the Dallas boys! We made a big ole fire, ate dinner, hung a bear bag, sang a few "songs," and made s'mores. Q and Zack seemed to be loving it all, and it was really cool to show them how we do it all out here everyday.

We chatted till dark and then headed to bed. Could be an early morning to make it to the [other] Washington Monument by 10am...
(14.1)


-- Posted from the trail...


Location:Rocky Run shelter

No comments: