Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day 44: See You Later, Ladies!

No, seriously... We will see you later... in Daleville!

Once again, I could've slept forever on that bed, but the call to make banana and blueberry pancakes was on me at 8am. Up and at 'em and whipping up breakfast with Jeanne and Wendy in the kitchen. The boys slowly rolled out of bed and soon we were all noshing on pancakes, fruit, sausage, and bacon. Neutron was having as much trouble this morning as I was last night with the tacos. Too much food! We all stuffed ourselves as much as we could. Then we had to pack up. Boo.

But good news! The ladies have offered to pick us up again from Daleville on Monday! And this time, the sleepover will be at Wendy's house with the dogs. (as if these two haven't already given us enough...) It's nice we don't have to say goodbye juuuust yet... Thank you both sooo sooo much for everything - especially the delicious food. Special thanks to Jeanne for checking me for ticks!!

So, we packed up and made it on the road. My pack seemed quite heavy even though I took out 2 lbs of stuff... Definitely the heaviest out of the four of us. Maybe I've got too much food...? I wasn't sure on timing for sending home my winter stuff (the boys sent all winter clothing home), but I thought I'd wait till June at least. Maybe Daleville.

85 degrees today. Jeanne took Xan and Neutron to the post office to send a few things home, and Jeanne took me and Achilles the Red back to the Rendezvous Motel, where they picked us up. It didn't feel like it had been almost 48 hours. As we put our boots back on, Jeanne and the boys showed up and we were soon on our way, with Wendy snapping photos as we walked away. I forgot to take a blog photo of Jeanne and Wendy!!?! (they were both off to get their hair cut, and we will be seeing them in a few days, soooo I will make sure to get a photo up then...). See you later!



Back on the trail. Feeling full, but heavy. It was hot and the first few miles was a steep climb. We were all sweating profusely and wishing we hadn't eaten so much. But we marched on. About 3pm, we stopped at the Rice Field Shelter for a snack. There was a girl named Scrabbit who had recently adopted a kitten from a bush off the side of the road where she'd been hitching for a ride. It was so small and weighed about an ounce. We were all glad to play with Yogi - especially Xan.










As we were preparing to leave the shelter, the eastern sky was looking quite dark and a storm was rolling in. We decided to wait it out in the shelter (with the kitty) and watch the storm from under cover.

The wind blew, the thunder clapped, and there was lightning, but it never poured down rain. Just sprinkles and strong wind. After about 90 minutes, we were back on our way.

Nice ridge running until the trees opened up into a beautiful meadow. Deets, Power Pack, and a few others were camped out, so we decided to do the same. No need to rush after a zero day!




Relaxation and dinner, and now it looks like a very early bedtime. Looking forward to sleeping soundly.

[Unfortunately, I didn't get as much admin done at Jeanne's house as I'd hoped. I will try to get new mail drop addresses up soon and make any changes to the schedule if it's needed. Skip & Liz - I meant to call you this morning! Will try hard to remember to do that when I get to Daleville.

Also: the Syracuse women's lacrosse team has made it to the final four this year, and they play Maryland on Saturday. If anyone watches that game or finds out results, can you text me scores?!? Thanks and GO CUSE!
(making me look good...)


(11.9)


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Symms Gap Meadow

No comments: