Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 28: Itchy

Well, my poison ivy is getting kind of annoying. And I unintentially pulled off a layer of skin off my left heel last night before bed while un-bandaging my blister. But other than that, I'm good. Woke up early because it began to sprinkle. Delayed getting out of the tent until it stopped and started and stopped and started and then began to rain a bit. Quickly got myself in gear and packed up the tent. Had a quick breakfast with the group in the shelter and then did what I could with the heel. I think this should be the last round of hurt with that heel. The right one seems to have finally callused (sp?) over. The left one is about a week behind.


So! Adam (we tried to call him "Cuddles" but he pointed out that he never actually cuddled anyone on this trip... despite sharing a tent with Robert) and Robert/Iron Horse led the way to the end of their AT-cation, with me and Backwards in tow. The threat of rain went away, and it turned into a nice day! A short 6 miles later, and we were at the road to the Kincora hostel. Backwards kept moving on the trail (I was sure I'd run into him at trail days in Demascus, tho his trip will end there - sad face), and we took our exit back to Adam's car. I dropped my pack and the three of us headed into town for lunch.


Pizza Plus had an all-you-can-eat pizza and salad buffet that we crushed. Probably too much, but good and filling. They drove me to the Dollar General where I resupplied and then right up back to the hostel. (no phone service for four days and then only while in town?!! maybe it'll be better in VA...?) They got on the road shortly after, and I was sad to see them go... Good times! I hope they had a great AT experience (they got mountains, snow, rain, cool AT hikers, hostels, all-you-can-eat, and pooping in the woods*, so that's pretty much everything!). Robert/Iron Horse had found a four-leaf clover somewhere along the way and he gave it to me before leaving. I shall keep it in my AT book for luck. Thanks Peej!
(*note: Adam somehow avoided this with ultra marathoner mind control...)



There's a great big group of kids here at the hostel now, and I'm lucky to have a bed. Many hikers are racing to make it to Demascus, VA for the big Trail Days festival this weekend, so most places have been crowded. I had planned on a zero tomorrow, but since I feel like I had today off, I'll probably keep moving (after sleeping in late and eating a big breakfast). Two hikers made an enormous pasta dinner for everyone and we all stuffed our faces. Communal candy, sodas, and jokes were passed around and there's a nice excitement in the air. Oh, and Little Foot, Pee-Wee and Yetti have caught me! Good to see them again and catch up.

I've laundered everything and ointmented my poison ivy. We will see what the heel looks like tomorrow, and hope the oily itchy PI spots shrink down and dry up. I can handle the itching; I just don't want it to spread!

Not sure what tomorrow will be, but there's a 20-50 percent chance of showers/thunderstorms for the rest of the week. Hope it holds off for Trail Days!!

(6)


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Kincora Hostel

No comments: