Saturday, May 15, 2010

Day 31: Trail Days Begins...

Good morning, trail days! Wow, I must've missed a big ole party last night. The drums began after I put in my ear plugs, but I still managed to fall asleep.

Woke up groggy, but I had a plan for the morning. I wanted to walk to town with all my shower stuff, stop by Dollar General to pick up a pair of cheap shorts to wear with my one clean shirt left, then stop by the Baptist church to take a free shower (that church offered SO many wonderful free services for hikers - it was grand!), then I was going to head to the laundromat to take care of all my poison ivy clothes... THEN I would be free to try to find folks and organize myself. Not sure if I was going to break out of my not-so-happy mood until I got clean.

Headed into town, which is about 3/4 miles away from tent city. 200 yards after beginning my walk, a pickup pulled over and offered a ride. Instant good mood! He picked up 3 more hikers before we got to town. Thanks, pickup! (side note: it seemed a bit weird a first to set up my tent with all my belongings and just leave it, but everyone did it, and it wasn't on my mind at all. Plastic bag wallet in my pocket, though, of course.)

So, I got a ride into town and went into the Dollar General. They didn't have shorts cool enough, so I got a two-pack of boxers for $5. Almost walked out the door before remembering to get a big bottle of water. Had to get back in line behind a lady who had a million things to buy, bit I waited patiently. Good timing is usually NOT my thing, but I walked four steps out the door and a car beeps. Carrie!! Holy cow, it was Xan and Brian with Xan's friend Jessica from home!! They were heading back to a hotel room they got for a night which had a full kitchen to make a huge breakfast and shower. Yes, I'll join!! Ha! My mood just kept getting better.

We stopped in Food City to pick up all the ingredients for an amaaaaazing breakfast feast. I got to shower while Xan made bacon and eggs and biscuits, which was course #1. Delish. Then we had huge cups of oj before I started on the pancakes - blueberry AND banana pancakes - course #2. Awesome. Then we were going to wrap it up with potatoes and sausage, but no one could fit any more in!! Oh, sweet full stomachs and clean hair... Ahhhh.

I still had to get laundry done, so when we drove back into town, that was our first stop. Then to pick up packages at the outfitters, then to check out the free medical screening at the church. We ended up seeing Backwards, Puma, Mick (who is now "Spambo"), and a few other familiar faces. I left to flip the laundry into the dryer and ran into a few more kids. Got back to the church and the group had left to go check out the vendors and gear tents. I wandered down there and didn't find them. Got ice cream. Went back to get my laundry, then headed to see one of the documentray films being premiered at a local school. Met up with Fields there and enjoyed the movie about three of the most well-known trail angels: Mawa (TN/VA), Miss Janet (TN) and Trail Angel Mary (Dunncannon, VA). Very cool little film!

Fields' phone was working in town, so we texted Brian's working phone. They were back at tent city so we headed back with Scatters (Adam - I finally met her!). Reunited again, we all hung out and laughed it up with the Connecticut kids (Closeline, Sprite, Snowflake, Aqua) and a couple beers.


I took a short break to try to dry out my poison ivy, and then it thunderstormed for 30 minutes or so, cooled the whole place off (thank goodness), and the big ole fire ring was a-blazing. HUGE fire. There were about five guys with drums who were banging it out, and the vibe was good. The rest of the night was just hanging... By the big fire, then over by the fire shaped like a dog bone, then back to the big fire for a few laps of dancing. I got a limbo stick out there for a bit. Great times. Stayed up too late and stood up still for too long. Nice to be horizontal now and about to sleep....

(0)


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:U.S. 58,Taylor,United States

No comments: