Saturday, May 22, 2010

Day 39: Weird Weather

Early morning. Like, pre-7am (early for us). And Xan was up and at 'em before me or Neutron - NOT typical. Rain was predicted again, so we wanted to get in a few miles before it actually started. I took off before the boys, and had a nice morning walk. Lots of climbing today. Over 3000 feet. After a few hours, there were sprinkles. Then the rain began right as I entered a clearing, and very close to where a shelter should've been. At the top of a mountain, I found the shelter in the fog. Very cool shelter with four walls and a door and the picnic table INSIDE.


Everyone showed up - some more rain-soaked than others. We all snacked and lunched and reveled in the excitement about a poster we all saw. Trail magic feast tomorrow 5 miles from the shelter we'd be sleeping at tonight. Fantastic!! We daydreamed about what all would be there...




The rain let up and people began to leave. The sun ended up coming out and I caught up to Deets, Power Pack and Achilles the Red. We four walked and talked together over the slippery rocks and occasional viewpoints. Achilles actually fell on his hip at one point, and I came to find out later that most all the boys did that day (including Xan and Neutron, who weren't going to tell each other - ha!). I escaped with many close calls.

Got to the beautiful Jenkins shelter before 5 and set my stuff up in the shelter. Cleaned myself up in the river and organized a bit. Ate, then caught up on blogging. With a dead phone, I couldn't keep up last week... (sorry!)

So, tomorrow should be a feast!! We are all excited, but we know we shouldn't get TOO excited. The meal begins at 10 and will last until the food ends...

Can't. Wait.

Sweet dreams of food tonight!

(19)


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Jenkins Shelter

No comments: