Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 21: Spiderwebs and Poison Ivy

One of the books I read about the AT said to make sure you're not the first one to leave camp because you'll run into all the morning spiderwebs. SO right! I was up and walking by 8, and I hadn't seen anyone pass by yet, so it was up to me to break through all the webs. Usually the thin, invisible strings are spiderless, but I got a few spiders with today's batch.


It was so webby at times in the 'tunnels' (thick brush on all sides) than I was walking with my hiking poles doing scissor slices in front of me. I probably looked like a big dork (usually, I'm sure), but it seemed to help a little. Good news for me, tho, regarding the dorkiness, was that I didn't actually see another person all day until one guy taking a lazy morning around noon, and then a few more people at 2pm.

Oh, and poison ivy... No, Nick, I did not run out of TP and choose the wrong leaf, I'm just noticing it a lot on the trail now. Hoping not to have any close encounters, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the PI oils find their way to my skin...

Anyway, it was a beautiful May day!


Not bad hiking either, until a bit of a rock scramble up to an exposed ridgeline (with a sign!) that led to another amazing, panoramic view. I definitely would not have wanted to be up there if the weather was bad...

One side of the ridge has this view:


And the other side has this view:


I hiked on over Big Butt mountain, which did NOT have a sign, but it's in the hiker book at mile 300 (so I've made it THREE HUNDRED MILES miles miles miles...!). It made me giggle. Who names these things?! I passed the next shelter and forged on to the campsite that was my target. Unfortunately, the few flat spots were already taken. Good thing I had just filled up on water! I'd planned to hike on to the next possible spot, and was lucky enough to find one juuust big enough for me about a half mile down the trail. That'll do!

I've set up and eaten,


hung my bear bag, and the sun is just now falling behind the mountains. I may be asleep before it's completely dark! (the pic is of the sunset through my tent) Another big day tomorrow, then an easy one on Thursday... I just wish my phone would work when I wanted it to! (Verizon is totally the way to go on the trail. Xan and I have AT&T, and it blows compared to the coverage Brian's been getting with Verizon... Boo AT&T... Boo.)

Mail Drop News:
I thought I could, but I canNOT edit my "mail drops" page from my phone. I will add more to the page when I get to a real computer. As of now, I'm expected to be at:
- The Uncle Johnny's Hostel in Erwin, TN on Thursday 5/6. (too late to send!)
- The Kincora Hiking hostel, not the post office, (1278 Dennis Cove Rd, Hampton, TN 37658) on 5/11.
- The Sun Dog Outfitters (331 Douglass Drive, Demascus, VA 24236) (VIRGINIA?!?!!) on 5/15.
- Happy Hiker Hollow (484 Phillipi Hollow Road, Atkins, VA 24311) on 5/21 ish.
- The Plaza Hotel (415 North Main Street, Pearisburg, VA 24134) around 5/27 ish.



-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Campsite around mile 305

1 comment:

Rob said...

awesome sweet c. can't wait to meet up somewhere in VA. by now you're probably close to 18% there. loving the blog, hope the PI hasnt hit...