Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day 116: Fresh Air, Fewer Bugs




Woke up after a nice, chilly night. I stayed toasty in my sleeping bag. This weather reminds me of the beginning...

Apparently there was a bit of tension around the shelter because a few kids had stayed up late and made noise while others were sleeping. No one out here seems to have the same schedule. It's bound to happen when so many people are tenting close together. I was completely clueless through it all with my earplugs in (I highly recommend any AT hiker to bring them), and only found out when Scatters told me.


She took off a bit before I did, and I wouldn't see her until the afternoon. I left at 9am, SO MUCH MUD!!, but found an awesome view (with two random chairs?!) so I had to stop. I uploaded the blog and called Deetz and Power Pack over when I heard them nearby. We chilled there for a good 30 minutes before they left. I took off after them, and caught them at the road. I had a small fall (#4) coming down the steep rock stairs to the road, but escaped with only a scrape in my knee and a minor ankle twist.

We three ladies made the steep climb back up the other side of the gap and took a break at the shelter. I sent a signal out on my SPOT locator (which hasn't been cooperating lately), and had a snack. Boss showed up after a resupply in Bennington. We all chatted before we left him there to finish some phone-ing. Deetz, Power Pack and I walked and talked for about a mile before I realized I had left my SPOT locator - again! It has my name and number on it now, but I wasn't sure who would be stopping at that shelter. Instead of worrying about it all day, I decided to drop my pack and go back to get it. I ended up running back (with my poles - avoiding mud puddles), and it felt so good! This must be what slack-packing is like!!

I found the SPOT where I left it, and Boss was still there, too. This could've been avoided if I just got everyone's numbers - though Boss will rarely be behind me much... I half-ran back to my bag and strapped it on. It felt heavier than a bag of bricks. Ugh. For anyone out there who has thirty-ish pounds to lose, I can't tell you how good it would feel on your body to lose it. Every time I take off my pack, it feels like I'm floating, and I want to hop around.

Anyway, so I spent the next few hours trying to catch up with the girls. I finally caught Deetz while she was taking a break, and Boss caught us both at that same place. Eventually, we all met up at the next shelter (and finally saw Scatters) to have a snack before the final four miles. A bit of an uphill day!




We left the shelter and stopped to climb the fire tower. Amazing 360 degree views!!! And a chilly breeze. Vermont is so lovely right now! We took photos and videos and then left for camp. A little singing in the woods and then we were all here. We set up then made dinner together - it was really nice. And so was the view. Boss, Deetz, Power Pack, Miles, Tripper, Wizard from Oz, Scatters and I, and then Stick Walker, Belle and Cody showed up a little later. Xan and Neutron and the other kids left late and never caught up.




We had a nice meal and shared some snacks. Since Boss had just been in town, he brought up spinach and cheese to share - and Miles had Triscuits! Thanks guys! We made a fire and lots of silly jokes before heading to bed. A good day today. Looking forward to another one tomorrow...
(18.7mi (+1.8??) 8st)



-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Kid Gore Shelter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These pictures are amazing Care! Vermont is really gorgeous! Can't believe you're 3/4 finished - maybe you should be a "SoBo" and hike back down to Georgia so you can keep the blog going. I mean, what are we all going to read when you finish??:) Jk jk jk...
Hope it stays warm during the day and cool and night so you can use your sleeping bag!
And thanks for the stumble update! (Does anybody ever ask if you've had a nice trip? Or do they say 'See you next fall' - get it get it?)(ok longest comment ever) (and not sure if triple parenthesis are allowed in the English language...)