Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day 110: A Full Fuel Tank

Woke up with a bittersweet feeling. I've enjoyed my time here in this magical Mount Washington oasis, but the weather has been so nice that I feel bad for not hiking. Time to get back to it!




But first... another phenomenal breakfast. Waffles, fruit, bacon, toast, cereal, juice, leftover pie - the works. So good!! We ate until we could not fit anymore in our stomachs and then we packed up. Like us, our packs were swollen with food, and looked much larger than when we rolled in. I said goodbye to my fleece sleeping sack at the post office yesterday, and my thicker sleeping bag is a bit more bulky. My bag has been mini since Waynesboro. Now it's back to maxi, and it will only get bigger once I get my winter gear sent back up. It's all part of it.

It came time for us to say goodbye to Anita and Steve. Their final generous act was driving us back up to the trail head, and we got in a few hugs before watching them drive away. Tattoo, Scatters and I had such a splendid zero day with them at their gorgeous home, and we just couldn't express how much their generosity meant to us. You really made us feel at home! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

We ran into Dr Rock and Kit Kat at the trail head and had a quick chat before hiking. Another BEAUTIFUL day! We were lucky to have a few bumpy hills and then a few miles of flat. We ran into a few week hikers and a SOBO named Yah. We also ran into Boss, a NOBO whom Tattoo had hiked with before, but Scatters and I had only heard his name. We chatted with everyone and hiked on. Ran into Itinerary, too, down the road. We weren't sure we'd be seeing him again!




Eventually, after passing hundreds of blueberry bushes, climbing a few hundred feet, and me almost breaking a leg when I barely avoided stepping on a small racer snake, we got to the Tom Leonard shelter at 5:30 - very early for us. It was nice to get in early. We got water (down a steeeep hill), made dinner, chatted it up, and we're all now in bed even though there's still a pinch of light out. We're hoping for an early morning to start a solid 20+ day.

I hope it's nice and chilly tonight so I can enjoy my sleeping bag...
(14.8mi 6st)



-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Tom Leonard Shelter

No comments: