Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 9: Heading for a Zero

I pulled it a little too close on food this time. I guess I'm still figuring it all out with what exactly my body needs. It's tough starting out, too, when I didn't really start getting REALLY hungry till a few days ago. I rolled into Bryson City pretty hungry, with only 3 bullion cubes and salt/pepper... having spooned down the last 1/4 jar of peanut butter an hour and a half earlier... I suppose I should think about having an emergency bar or two in the bottom of my bag? Or did I just plan it out perfectly...? I'll figure it out... more snacks is probably the answer!



Made it to Bryson City! And the Natahala Outdoor Center!! I'm sooooo looking forward to my first zero day (no hiking) tomorrow. It wasn't freezing when we all woke up, so it was easier to get going. The boys left without breakfast at 7:30. I made tea and a breakfast shake and was out 15 mins later. Earliest start yet! And a beautiful morning. Lots of downhill and warm sun. I passed a few sleeping tents, but only saw a few people all day. Saw a beaver (or something like a beaver?) climb up a tree in absolute terror of me. And passed a school group that stared at me like I was either a monster or a celebrity... or a combo of the two. The last few hours had a really nice atmosphere that was almost like a rainforest. Birds chirping and lots of bright green everywhere. Including a HUGE tree that had fallen across the trail. Took a second to figure out how to get around it, but did.

Unless the boys stopped, I knew I wouldn't catch them. They didn't. So I didn't. Until we all reached the NOC in Bryson City. (I hiked the whole 16+ miles in my Crocs!) I checked in at the office, got some snacks, and then it was chow time at the restaurant! Tho we didn't eat more than one meal each (and 2 appetizers to share), it definitely felt like I ate a ton. Mc (Mitch/Mick) finally showed up and joined, then we all had a beer to celebrate the day. Then SHOWER and LAUNDRY! Feels good to be clean again. I hung out with the boys a bit, and one of Xan's friends from Atlanta drove up (took her 3 hours to cover MORE than we've done in 9 days?!) and then I've landed in my room to try to recover from this cold tonight. Should help that I'm inside and I'm a bed... and that I won't be hiking tomorrow. Heel should heal, too!

Wow, I'm up LATE!!


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Noc Way,Bryson City,United States

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Care! You're doing so well! I can't believe you've hiked so far already!!! I read your blog every night, it's like my novel for the spring I love it! Hope your blister heals "heels" and that you can get your hike back on on Saturday. Keep on keeping on, you're almost there!!

Anonymous said...

Carrie...found your blog via "fresh outtakes" by The Ultralighter (Dave Sailer), it comes to me as an RSS feed. Anyway, I am enjoying your story, read from the start just now, but what's the deal, no trail name yet? And by the way, the last SPOT was on the 18th., so not sure your technology is working. Good luck, suppose you already know, blisters are your constant companion till the end.