Friday, April 16, 2010

Day 2: Hot and Sweaty




Slept with the earplugs. The Italian guy was all sorts of snoring, and then I could hear the mice scrambling around. I thought it better to remain oblivious (tho I did wake up to "something" moving around near my hair - blech). There were 4 of us in the shelter. Jack from Rockville (a little bit if home), very friendly John (retired from NM and had a slight volume problem when people were trying to sleep) and the Italian guy (who spoke very little English and wore BRIGHT purple pants). Four men over 50 and me! The others (Krystal & Jorge, Xan, Brian, Nick and Clay) all had tented in the surrounding camping area.

Most everyone was up by 6:30. I stayed down, thinking horizontally for another 30 mins before getting to it. I was one of the last ones to leave at 8:45 but ended up passing everyone on the trail except Brian and Xan who are camping here tonight too.

Another gorgeous day, but hotter. Lots of up and down but really pretty with the sun thru the trees. I realize that I talk outloud to myself a lot. And get songs stuck in my head. Yesterday was 'Love Hurts' and today was 'The Weight' by The Band and 'The Sweet Escape' by Gwen Stefani. Anyways... I was going to push thru and try for a 20 mile day, but then ran into Mason at Woody Gap and with the hills ahead, he and I both thought it may be best to just stop at the next campsite. Which was beautiful at the top of the hill!! Great views, and Brian and Xan were already set up. Mitch (the "sprained ankle guy" who twisted it on THE FIRST DAY!!!?!?) showed up (amazingly) about 1.5 hrs after. He's driven.



So we all had dinner and hung out, picking out shapes in the clouds and watching the sun go down. Really really nice. First night in the tent!! Should be nice and comfy/cozy. Oh? Do I hear small raindrops??


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Big Cedar Mountain

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Carrie. I bought the Thru-Hikers' Companion yesterday so I can keep up with where you are. Nice to know you are hiking with others who know terrain, etc.
Best to have the rain at night, don't you think. Jeanne

Connie said...

This is soooooo great to follow your adventure! It will make us all feel better knowing you are doing great and trekking on through... can't wait to hear more!
Connie