Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 14: Smokies = Coldies

So, remember Griz? The guy who did my shakedown at Neel Gap? Well he guarenteed me snow in the Smokies as long as I made it thru before mid May. And I knew I would make it through before mid May. BUT! He told me that on a day that was 85 degrees out, so it was hard to believe him...

Today started wet and chilly. Putting back on my wet gear from the day before was NOT fun. I put my shirt and shorts in the sleeping bag with me, so they were kinda dry (and my bag was a bit damp), but most everything else is just dammmmmp. Luckily my boots have remained pretty dry - as long as I keep my rain pants latched tight around them.

So, wet. Raining. Cold, but ok when you keep moving. Then came the freezing rain/sleet, which does NOT feel good on naked hands! (yes, I walk without gloves... I'd rather keep them dry for camping. they just get wet when you're walking... and, remarkably, my hands stay pretty warm unless it's sleeting) Oh, and the wind. It was by far the most miserable day so far, but my spirits are still high. The sun even kinda came out for 48 seconds! We had planned to go farther, but we got to empty Siler's Shelter and that was it. It had started to snow and we did not want to run into another full shelter.



It's cold. Will only get colder when the sun goes down. Hunkering down. There's a fire, but it doesn't help too much unless you're right up next to it. Lots of the kids are drying their socks and boots over there. Xan burnt a hole I'm his socks!

Really fun group here. About 12 of us. Makes it a little easier!

I heart my sleeping bag. (temperature is hovering around 30 and there's about a half inch of snow on the ground - ah!!)



-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Siler's Bald Shelter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you are averaging nearly 14 miles a day. Not bad for the first two weeks! Cold weather = less bears.

Mike

Kayanne said...

You're doing great Carrie! Hopefully it warms up soon! Love from back home...we miss ya!