Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day 8: One week down, 21 to go?

Cold cold damp cold morning. But no rain. Took all my energy to get out of my sleeping bag. But one must. We were going to try to get 20 miles in, to make it to Bryson City by Thursday at 5pm. Joyce left first, then Mitch, then me (9:30), then Fields, then the boys (Xan and Brian) by 10. It really would be a LOT easier to start earlier if it wasn't sodamncold!

Good easy stuff in the morning, tho the blister on my right heel was starting to scream... Saw my first wildlife (other than squirrels, birds and bugs...) - a deer! I never saw Mitch or Joyce for the rest of the day, but Xan and Brian caught me by noon and passed on. My heel has slowed me down on the uphills, and I think I have a bit of a chest cold coming on. Fields caught me pumping water in the afternoon and we walked to the road that leads into Franklin. He would be spending the night there. Xan and Brian had lunched by the road, so we all said bye to Fields, not sure when/if we'd see him again.



Then we started up. It's amazing that the campsite we aimed for was a hundred feet higher than where we spent last night, but we have to go up-down-up-down-up-down to get there. The boys took off with their iPods on. Since the rain, my lungs felt only at half capacity, and so I was slower than usual on the uphills. My blister was getting worse as well... Before the last big hour and a half (2hrs?) of uphill, I decided to hike in my Crocs. Best idea ever! So much less pressure on my heel and not too bad to walk UP in. I stubbed my toes a few times, but it all turned out ok. Was wondering if I was ever going to catch up with the boys and told myself that if I didn't catch them by 7, I'd camp. After making it up to gorgeous Wiyah Bald (amazing views!!!) I caught them at the campsite! We did 20 miles!!! And we were all exhausted and in need of food. Cooked. Made a fire. Chatted. And now bed. We still have 16miles to go tomorrow to get to the hostel before 5pm. I think we can do it, no problem. I just hope there are still beds available..

Looking forward to another dose of shower and laundry! And my first zero day on Friday. Will relax aaaallllll day....

"Chuck Norris gives the AT blisters..."


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Noc Way,Bryson City,United States

1 comment:

Amy said...

I was at Target the other day. They have this like...stick of something where you basically it's like chapstick for your feet. You rub it onto the parts of your foot where your foot rubs against your shoe and it's supposed to reduce friction. Do you want one?