Friday, April 16, 2010

Day 3: Neel Gap

It rained a bit in the night, but everything was dry in the morning. Beautiful sunrise over the distant mountains! Oatmeal for breakfast and then a slow clean/pack up before leaving at 8:25. Last one to leave again!!



So how do I feel?
Physically: good all round except for my ankle bones. No blisters amywhere (knock on tree), but I've got a bit of a rubbing problem on the outsides of both ankles. I taped O shaped cusions on them, but it didn't help. The morning was quite sore as they got warmed up, but by lunch I knew I had to modify my boots. I cut half dollar sized holes in the corresponding foam area in each boot. They are now designer. And they feel much better!! Not perfect, but tons better... We'll see how the ole ankle bones feel in the morning. Oh and my pack fits very well, except a little friction around the side belly area. So, I "butter down my muffin top" from time to time to help that.
Mentally: strong and alive. I feel very calm and in charge of this whole thing, and I think my luck with such excellent starting weather has helped a bunch. Great people to chat to when I want, and a lot of 'me' time to think about all sorts of things. It's good and I like it.

So, I have to stop in Hiawasee to pick up my solar charger (which didn't arrive in DC till the day I left! Thanks for sending, Leah!!). I realized yesterday that I wasn't going to make it there by Saturday at noon (when the P.O. closes), so now I can lollygag a bit to hit it up first thing Monday morning. I may even stay in town Sunday night! This will be good to slow me down a bit. I really shouldn't be pushing it now, but it's so hard not to sometimes.

Today I passed thru Neel Gap which houses a nice hostel with an outfitter famous for its "shake-downs." This is where a guy/gal who works there empties your ENTIRE pack and tells you what you don't need... Daunting, but they make it all about you knees and joints. Every extra pound in every step is extra pressure on your body multiplied by millions of steps... I wasn't sure I would do it, but a cool guy named Griz led me through it (and said that nothing is final - it's all just suggestions...) and he also showed me how to pack more efficiently. So, long story short, I took almost 5 lbs off my back and sent it home! (I hope I don't miss those things too much... ho hom...) Knees are happy tho!

Camping again tonight. First time alone. But it's a gorgeous spot with poofy grass. I've somehow managed to lose my bear bag rope (whoops!) but I was able to jimmy up a tree and tie it high enough. I'm sure it will be fine :)

(Oh and don't get too used to this daily entry business... Not sure how long it will last (especially since I don't have my charger yet!)). Down to 14%!!


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Wolf Laurel Top

1 comment:

Googles said...

Okay so I love this blog. Please post daily once you get your charger! I love hearing what your days are like. Living vicariously!

Danielle and I walked five miles yesterday, some of it through wooded areas. Thought of you.