Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 1: Magical

Dad and I got up and had breakfast around 8:30, but didn't make it out of there till 9:30 or so. Bit of an adventure getting to Amicalola Falls State Park since my phone map didn't agree with the GPS which in turn didn't like what dad had printed out... BUT we made it and got checked in (I just wrote my name down in the notebook next to the date and my pack weight (it grew to 38lbs btw)) and then we followed the directions to springer mountain via car. I decided long ago that I wasn't going to do the 8.8mile uphill, non-AT approach trail... So the cruise was fine until we got to the forest service road that looked like it had been bombed. We drove anywhere from 4-16 mph for 6.5 miles. Glad it wasn't longer!


After a few photos, I got a last encouraging hug and was ON MY WAY!!! South... Yeah, I had to walk .9 miles south, uphill to the summit to reach the official southern terminus. But it was fine. Talked to Roger, the ATC guy who "lives" up there and he said I was the second DC person this year. Took a few more photos, then at about 3:20, I ACTUALLY BEGAN the 2175 mile trek! It was invigorating and surreal and there were TONS of things running thru my head.

The day was gorgeous. Couldn't have been better. I walked past babbling brooks and a waterfall and all the plants were beginning to bud. At times, it was like I was in Avatar.

I made it the 7.8 miles (8.7 if you include the doubleback) to Hawk Mountain shelter, where there were about 9 other people eating and setting up sleeping gear. Dinner was rice and jerky, and bedtime is now. Not too tired, but looking forward to sleeping in! It's been a while since I've gotten a full 8 hours... I think I may have to throw in the ole earplugs, tho, with the noise one of the older guys is snoring out already.


-- Posted from the trail...

No comments: