Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 156: Reunited, and It Feels So Good!

Woke up after almost ten hours of sleep. It's nice not to have a strict schedule out here. I plan to enjoy it while it lasts... After a slow breakfast and pack-up, Boss and I left to hike the 6-ish miles to the road to Monson.







The trail was nice and rolling (a bit more uphill than I thought), but there was a really nice pond about halfway. We stopped to listen to the loons calling from far away. It was picturesque and lovely. We talked to a section hiker for a bit, then knocked out the next 3 miles. We got to the road and only waited ten minutes before Debbie picked us up on her way to Portland. She dropped us off at the Lakeshore House and waved goodbye. Thanks, Debbie!!







We self-checked in and said hello to Sour Dough (who I hadn't seen for a while), his wife Sweet Dough (who was back on the trail for the last week or so), Rainbow, Stryder and a group of three who summited yesterday - Stoker, Sour Tower and Boone. We all watched a movie and relaxed after cleaning up and throwing the laundry in. It was a relaxing afternoon. We had a bite to eat in the pub and walked over to the general store.

While we were doing all this, Scatters and Powder had finished up with Katahdin. They were DONE! Scatters' brother, Jonathan, had come out from Colorado to pick them up and drive them back to Rangeley. On their way back, though, they stopped in Monson! Happy 30th Birthday, Scatters!!! And congrats!! She managed to summit on her birthday! I knew she would :)







It was great to see Scatters again - Boss and I hasn't seen her since Hanover?! - and it was good to see Powder again, too (and nice to meet Jonathan!). The five of us went down to the pub to enjoy all-you-can-eat taco night and catch up on EVERYTHING from the last few weeks. It was excellent, and so were the tacos. Boss and I had hoped they'd spend the night with us in Monson, but they were on their way to Rangeley by 8pm. I'm so happy I get to hang out with Scatters some more, back in Rangeley after I finally summit, too. Only 114.5 miles left, and most of it will be in "the hundred miles of wilderness." It sounds daunting, but it shouldn't be too bad. We just need to bring six days of food or so. Heavy packs.

With that said, I will probably not have any cell service or internet (or battery left?) until after I summit (on the 23rd or 24th?). I will still be blogging everyday and will upload everything I've got as soon as I can. It should be a great last hundred miles, but I'm definitely looking forward to being done now.

I can't believe it's almost over...
(6.7mi 2st)






-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Lakeshore House, Monson, Maine

1 comment:

Miss L said...

Almost done...wow!! Can't wait to see you back in DC :)