Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 151: A Wonderful Day

Woke up relaxed and ready to start the day. Sue said she would drop us off at the Looney Moose for breakfast on her way to Bangor, so we allowed it. We packed up and headed over there. We said farewell and thank you to Sue as she left, and we sat down in a booth and ordered breakfast. After we'd finished, we hitched back to the trail (first car that passed!), and started hiking around 10am. Not too bad for coming outta town with a sit-down breakfast.










As we took a few steps into the woods, we noticed a sign advertising trail magic this weekend. It was 17 miles away, but we'd heard Uncas talking about how good a spread it would be. Could we do 17 miles today...? Leaving at 10am...? We would go for it.










Well, there were a few mountains in the way, but it was BEAUTIFUL!!!! Prettiest day we'd seen I'm a while. Sun! The sun was out!!!! We climbed up another Horn mountain and took in great views of the area. Sugarloaf was easy to spot, and you're supposed to be able to see Katahdin, but none of us knew which one it was. I took a guess.










Down the Horn and back up Avery, the unofficial 2000-mile marker. I've walked TWO THOUSAND MILES!!!! Hard the believe or comprehend, but my body is sure starting to feel it. Actually, lately, I've been getting that paranoid feeling similar to the one I felt about two weeks before running the marathon last year. I'm so freaked out that I'm going to get hurt before I can finish! I'm sure I'll be fine, but it is a worry...










Up on Avery, we tool a few photos, then took a few with the 2000 sign before descending into the valley. We only had to get up and over Little Bigelow and then we'd be set for a flat line to trail magic. I had another scary slip/trip but caught myself somehow. I wish I'd stop doing that!

Slowly got up onto Bigelow and enjoyed the great view one more time. I hope the weather is this good for the rest of the trip! Boss and I quickened our hungry pace once we were back on flat trail, and right at 7pm, we rolled into the trail magic camp. Hooray!










There were four guys running the show: Hydro (who hopes to complete a thru hike in 2012), Mad Mike (who I met at Trail Days and saw back in Mass at the ice cream shop), Old Faht (who looked kinda like Santa), and Walking Home). These guys were fantastic. Phenomenal. They offered us cheeseburgers as soon as we arrived, and we munched on other food while we waited for the burgers to cook. They had thought of EVERYTHING - perhaps because they'd been doing it for over a decade. A grill, tables, chairs, wood, tarps, and a port-a-potty!!! And so much food. Oh the food... Pasta salad, pbj, corn, candy bars, chips, oreos, beans, sodas, and lots more. We were in heaven.










After chowing down, we set up camp, then joined the group by the fire. Backwards, Prophet, Uncas, Stryder were there, and there were sobo's - Trail Baby and Satellite. Great group, great fire and very good times. We stayed up till the temperature got too cold, then we hit the tents.

There will be breakfast in the morning, too. I'm so glad we decided to go for it!
(16.7mi 5st)


-- Posted from the trail...


Location:East Flagstaff Road

No comments: