Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 150: Warm and Dry

COLD!!! It was so cold last night and this morning!! I bet it was just under 40 degrees. And it was wet. It's not so bad to deal with wet when it's warm, and it's not so hard to deal with cold when it's dry. But, cold AND wet is tough. So hard to get out of my sleeping bag, but I managed. So hard. Not sure how I did it. And wet clothes again?! Just thinking about it now gives me goosebumps. I will try very hard not to camp in a cloud again. The moisture collected on all the trees and kept dripping all night and continued throughout the morning. Everything is wet.

We got moving just after 8am in full rain gear. There was a small climb up to the north peak of Spalding with soaking wet plants hanging all icer the narrow trail, then it was five miles down to the road to Stratton. It was pretty easy trail, but, with the top of my left foot, I managed to kick a hard root that was sticking out. It hurt a lot and made my eyes water up, but no damage. Then later I took another slip/fall which strained my left knee again. Was there something trying to keep me from getting to town?!?!




I was fine, just feeling silly for making so many footing mistakes. Boss and I finally made it to the road juuuust when Backwards was getting dropped off. Perfect! We got to say a brief hello to him, and then got a ride into town with Sue, who runs the Stratton Motel! Sometimes the timing works out. We said goodbye to Backwards and jumped in with Sue and her dog, Knucklehead. Got a ride to the motel, which also has a hostel, then got a hot shower, then some down time. The shower felt sooooooooo good!

We got lunch over at the White Wolf Inn and resupplied at the small market. It was kinda chilly out. Stratton is a pretty small town, but it had everything we needed We did laundry, hung out, watched tv. It was lazy, and it was GLORIOUS. It felt really nice not to be walking. That's about it! Early to bed. Back to the trail tomorrow!
(5.7mi 5st)


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Stratton, Maine

No comments: