Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day 155: Ford Tough

Woke up early to raindrops that came and went. Fell back asleep for a while, but was up eating breakfast by 6:45 in the shelter. Today would be an easy hike with only one mountain, first thing in the morning. Moxie Bald Mountain.




We climbed the 1000 feet of elevation in one mile and were met with fierce gusts of wind and a chilly temperature. On a clear day, you can see Katahdin, but neither Stryder, Uncas, Boss or I knew what we were looking for. It was pretty clear out, and it wasn't raining, but there are a lot of mountains up here.




On the way down, the sun really came out and warmed us up. It was especially nice since the forecast called for showers. We made it down and took a snack break at the Moxie Pond Lean-to. A really nice spot and a beautiful pond. Other hikers had noted in the register that moose come out to the pond everyday around 5pm. Unfortunately, we would miss it since it was only 10am, but perhaps another pond will have moose for us to see.




It would be nine miles until the next shelter and our next break, but when Boss and I came up to a gravel road at the halfway point between the two shelters, there was trail magic! Uncas was sitting in a chair with BJ (thru-hiker '96) and his wife Glenna. Well, hey! They had hot coffee, donuts, fruit, sodas, and lots of chocolate candy. What a treat with a warm drink! We sat down in the chairs they brought and chatted about the trail. It's really nice to hear stories from thru hiker alumni and to get advice on the last bits of trail. Thanks so much, BJ and Glenna!!




After our unexpected snack, we were powered up for the next few miles. It was really nice, mostly flat terrain, and it was right along a river. At one point, we had to ford through a swamp/bog. Boss was convinced that he could build a bridge of trees across the bog, but it was six inches deep at the shallowest point, so I just took off my shoes and socks. I slowly worked my way through the cold water to the other side, then found out there was a deeper section 15 yards away. I made it across that part (and noticed a bunch of other bare footprints), when I heard a kur-plunk and a splash, then laughter. Boss had slipped on his bridge and stepped into the bog with his shoes on. Whoops! (If he had had the time, I'm sure the bridge project would've worked out just fine...)

We hiked on and got to the Horseshoe Canyon Lean-to for one last snack. Then it was more river path walking until we crossed the east branch of the Piscataquis river on a beaver dam. There was a small campsite and a cooler full of cold drinks. More magic! We sat and had a soda, then Hat Trick showed up and did the same. He was going to push on to Monson, 6.5 miles away, but Boss and I decided to camp there and roll into town in the morning. We made a fire and ate dinner, and while we were hanging the bear bag, a beaver was splashing his tail on the river. I saw him swimming around then kur-plunk! I had never seem that happen before. Very neat and bizarre.

Lights out before 8pm again. Tomorrow = Monson. Hopefully I'll have cell service so I can upload these blogs. Last town before Katahdin, what!!?!?!




(Again on the ankle - I've never seen it look so bad! My finger is on my ankle bone in the photo, but that other bump is a hard, swollen lump of scar tissue, I think. (And yes, I will be losing my pinky toenail.) The ankle hurts a bunch, but it should last another week. Some time off in Monson should help, too. C'mon ankle!)
(15.3mi 5st)


-- Posted from the trail...

Location:Campsite on the east branch of the Piscataquis River

3 comments:

I Live Inspired said...

Hang in there! Couple more miles to the top of the mountain.

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! You rock!
- Jen & Erica Mathewson

Boss's mom said...

Just like a mechanical engineer to construct a bridge that WON'T hold up! Wading barefoot was definitely the way to go (that ankle looks scary)