Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 147: I Give Up...

...on trying to catch Scatters. She's still a few days ahead of me, and she's returned to her original plan of summiting on her 30th birthday, September 16. So, she'll be cruising, and it would be too hard to catch her. Bummer. But! She'll get to summit on her birthday, which she kinda wanted all along. Go Scatters!!

So, Boss and I will be taking it easy. Maybe we'll meet back up with the Deetz pack and/or Xan and Neutron. Still looking at about the 20th to finish - only 13 days away?!?!?! It's crazy how quickly the end is creeping up. Mount Katahdin is going to be visible from one of the mountains I climb in the next few days. Before I know it, I'm gonna be climbing Katahdin. And then I'll be done?!




I woke up to the smell of breakfast food filling up the house. It was amazing, and we all ate together. Breakfast crepes stuffed with eggs and bacon with cheese sauce on top. Fresh fruit, cereal and toast, too. It was great. Soon after breakfast, it was time for the non-zeroing hikers to head back to the trail. Boss and I said goodbye to Tripper, Wizard and On the Loose, and we organized our food bags and popped in a movie while Donna drove them back to the trail. I'm pretty sure we'll see them again in the next few days.




We watched Monty Python's Life of Brian until Donna got back. Then we all went into town to run errands. Post office, outfitters, walking around. It was great. Donna gave us a tour of some of the Rangeley hot spots, too. We checked out the Rangeley Inn, the beach, and the viewpoint to Shaw (Doctor's) Island. It was so nice outside for touring. While Donna ran a few errands of her own, Boss and I had lunch at Pine Tree Frosty. I had a lobster roll and Gifford's ice cream - it was gooo-ood.



We drove back to the house and laid low. Boss and I took the kayak out in the pond for a bit and chased a few loons around. Afterwards, I caught up on my blog, and Donna got started on dinner. Aunt Margaret came over later, while Boss grilled the London broil, and soon we were eating dinner on the screen porch. More awesome food! Steak, roast potatoes, peas, bread, salad, yum. Great conversation while the sun went down across the pond.



What a great day.
Life is good.
Back to the trail tomorrow!
(0)



Location:Rangeley, Maine

2 comments:

marilyn said...

Congrats! Before you know it you'll be on flat land again. I know you'll miss it. We have loved reading your blog and have gret admiration for you.
Hope you meet up with Xan and Neutron before the 20th.
I'm glad you got to have lobster roll, my favorite.
Marilyn (Xan's grandma)

Anonymous said...

just want to let you know my heart sunk when i read the title "I give up"!

-Tim